Sunday, August 12, 2007

San Antonio Express News: Latinos NOT just about immigration

Victor Landa of the San Antonio Express News points out that for many Latinos immigration is not the issue or an issue. If I could, I would thank him for writing the column.

When will politicians, the mainstream media and the corporations interested in Latino marketing understand that not all Latinos are immigrants? When will they understand that painting all Latinos into the immigration debate is frankly racist? When will the get that we are Americans.

Joe Kennedy, the patriarch of the Kennedy Clan, once said in the 1930s, "But look, I was born here. My children were born here. What the hell do I have to do to be called an American?"

I say, "I was born here. My parents were born here. What the hell do I have to do to be called an American?"

The following is a highlight from Mr. Landa's column.

"The deceptive thing about the debate over immigration is that it seems to be centered around immigrants, the majority of which, in this day and age, come from Latin American countries. By association, all Americans of Latin American descent (Latinos, Hispanics, Chicanos, Mexican Americans, take your pick) are bundled into the argument."


http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/stories/MYSA081207.02H.landa_.242b81d.html

No comments: